When the previous owners of our home left this rusted old cart, they thought it would go right to the curb. Instead, I chose to re-purpose it for something a little more fancy - a bar cart!
Rusty cart waiting for a makeover!
When I was selected by a cosmetics company to host a beauty bash with my closest friends, I wanted to host it inside my home at my new kitchen table. Space is a serious issue at our house, and I knew that using the available counter space for food left no room for drinks. Then it hit me: get out my rusted old friend - the bar cart. I was then faced with the reality that if I wanted to throw a great party, I would need to give my rusted old friend a face-lift. So, like any good do-it-yourselfer, I got my spray paint out (and my trusted Rustoleum spray paint nozzle purchased at my local Valu Home Centers) and went to work.
For this project, you will need:
- All-purpose Cleaner
- Steel Wool
- Spray Paint
- Spray Paint Can Handle (optional)
The difference a fresh coat of paint can make.
To rescue and re-purpose this cart:
- Clean the cart with all-purpose cleaner, soap and water.
- Get out your steel wool and go over the entire cart focusing on any rust spots.
- Attach your handy Rustoleum spray paint nozzle to your desired spray paint.
- Spray the cart in a well-ventilated area. You might need two coats for the best coverage. Be sure to let the paint dry completely between coats!
- When the paint is dry, arrange all of your bar items on the cart
The finished cart, loaded up and ready to go!
There you have it: a bar cart rescued from the recycling bin and ready just in time for the entertaining season! Since our house is small, we often entertain my large family outside in our backyard, and I have used this cart several times as a mobile bar. It will be perfect for serving snacks during the holidays!