You thought you knew good ol' Valu, huh? In honor of our 50th anniversary, here are 50 things you might not know about your go-to local home improvement store. Think we can make it to 50? Read on!
1. Valu was founded in Buffalo, NY at our store at Clinton & South Rossler Ave in 1968.
2. Valu started business as a paint section within a department store, selling Dutch Boy Paints and paint supplies.
3. We have a total of 41 locations across Western New York & Northwestern Pennsylvania.
4. Valu is a private, family-owned company.
5. One of our founders was a Sheriff of Erie County!
6. We employ nearly 900 team members!
7. We hold many hiring events throughout the year and actively accept applications at all times of the year! Click here to apply online now!
8. You may remember one or two of our jingles, but we've had more! "For the do-it-selfer in you!", "Valu's got the value!", "Valu has everything you need!" & "Shop easy, shop Valu!"
9. Give me a V, give me an A, give me an L, give me a U! What does that spell? VALU(no e)! An easy mix-up, we agree.
10. Our original brand colors were gold and black only, but now red and gold are the primary colors.
11. "Valu Discount Department Store". At one time, Valu not only sold home improvement tools and supplies, but clothing, home decor, even panty girdles! Imagine that! What even are girdles?
12. We used to have our own comic strip! The do-it-yourself adventures of Val & Al.
13. We had occasional visits from the Pink Panther when we sold Owens Corning Brand insulation - the Pink Panther was their mascot!
14. In 1980, we made our debut on television!
15. Valu donates annually to some of our favorite local charities and non-for-profits including Habitat for Humanity, Kids Escaping Drugs, The Salvation Army, Make-A-Wish, Diocese of Buffalo, Catholic Charities, the March of Dimes, United Way, and the local police and fire departments in the communities in which our stores do business! We love helping out! Through our Valu Crew program, associates and managers regularly volunteer with local organizations. This includes everything from large charities like Habitat for Humanity, to smaller groups like Buffalo Pug and Small Breed Rescue.
16. In the span of 25 years, Valu has donated a total of 6 million dollars to charitable organizations.
17. Every year, Valu team members volunteer and compete in Hope Chest Buffalo's Dragon Boat Competition at Riverworks to benefit breast cancer research! Check out the recap video from this year:
18. With the help of our generous customers, this year we donated $20,675 to Kids Escaping Drugs, a local organization dedicated to helping adolescents live their lives free from addiction.
19. We collaborate with a hardware supplier and co-op called Do It Best and sell a number of items from top-tier brands like Weber, DeWalt & Milwaukee.
20. Looking for something not in store? We offer a wide selection of products online at shopvaluhomecenters.com and offer ship-to-store for free!
21. Valu proudly offers tons of products made in the USA!
22. Every year, we hold a, where we invite our vendors to set up camp and our employees to visit and learn about their products and services! We also hold a presentation at the fair at which we award associates for exceptional performance and dedication to their teams!
23. Our store team in Elmira posted a viral YouTube video for the "mannequin challenge" in 2016. See below!
24. We're making big changes! Just this year, we upgraded the paint department in all of our stores, now officially known as the Color Bar.
25. Looking to cover a wall stain or patch job? Our paint department can color match your wall color!
26. Valu has the largest spray paint selection in the area, selling brands like Krylon & Rustoleum!
27. We love making stuff. From jumbo jenga to outdoor movie screens, nothing makes us happier than inspiring your next project!
28. Recently, we threw together a Spotify Playlist for all of your DIY endeavors!
Check it out here: The Only DIY Playlist You'll Ever Need
29. We're SUPER pet-friendly, which means we allow dogs and cats in our stores (on a leash, of course) and we sell dog and cat toys and supplies!
30. We now have a Best Rewards program for our customers! For every dollar you spend, you earn a point. 250 points earns you a $5 coupon. Veterans earn double points! Members are occasionally granted special access to products and promotions! Sign up in store or online.
31. At the moment, we have enrolled nearly 150,000 Best Rewards members!
32. We offer assembly services on items like grills and doors! Contact your local Valu to learn more.
33. We now sell candy at our registers! More treats to come...
34. You can find a library of DIY project videos on our YouTube channel -check them out the next time you need a little inspiration!
35. We have a dollar section at Valu - next time you're in, ask where it is and check it out!
36. You can purchase our hardware by the piece instead of buying an entire box, like at bigger box stores. This way, if you need a replacement or just a few pieces, there's no need to over-spend!
37. Need a key made? We can do it! We also sell keychains, key markers, and lanyards.
38. Aw, your dog plopped a smelly surprise on your carpet? Valu had RugDoctor carpet cleaners for rent!
39. In 2013, Valu was a finalist for Buffalo Business First Best Places To Work!
40. Valu was presented with the title of Retail Innovator of the Year by Hardware Retailing Magazine in 2010.
41. In 2016 we hosted the first (and last) annual Apple Bobbing Championship! Check out the highlights below.
42. Our Owego store experienced two MAJOR floods. Once in 2006 and again in 2011. Yikes!
43. Peep this glo(w) up. Honestly, we just upgraded our entire lighting selection in a major way. See for yourself!
44. We singlehandedly solved the avian homelessness crisis of 2015. See how below!
45. Ever year Santa Claus makes a visit to our Owego store thanks to store manager, Eric Butterfield, who is good friends with the jolly man! *wink*
46. In November of 2014, Buffalo was hit with 7 feet of snow and the event became known as "Snowvember" - Valu, even in the harsh winter conditions, opened to help the community survive the storm. Check out the story here.
47. Our associates are the greatest. We're not kidding. From our seasoned veterans to our newcomers, our people are the best in the business and ready to help you complete your next project!
48. A lot of our employees are skilled DIY-ers! Check out some of our featured employees on our blog:
49. You can compliment an employee or offer your suggestions by filling out a "Tell Us" form in store and mailing it to our headquarters!